It’s another quick roundup of openings for those of us who write for children. Without further ado, here they are:
- The reliable clutch of Winchester Writing Festival comps offers three opportunities for children’s writers: There is a picture book competition, one for humorous MG and the new Skylark-sponsored Soaring Stories category, open to MG or YA-aimed submissions. Check it out at http://writersfestival.co.uk/competitions – the deadline is 13th May. Good luck!
- Unpublished authors resident in the US and identifying as ‘other than white’, should consider this initiative to find more diverse authors, open to MG and YA manuscripts: Go to www.rollofthunderbook.com to enter. The Contest entries will be accepted beginning on April 26, 2016. The submission period ends on June 21, 2016. In addition to a manuscript, all applicants must also include a 75-word biography describing themselves.
- For those in Scotland, the deadline for submitting to the very exciting https://xponorth.co.uk/ has been extended till 1st May. Apply to pitch your work to a panel of agents and publishers at the XpoNorth festival in Inverness – best small city in the world! But then I’m biased!
- Finally, Christian publication Pockets, part of UpperRoom, hold an annual international fiction contest with a summer deadline. The winner receives $500 for their winning story for children and may be considered as a future contributor to the magazine. Find out what they’re looking for at http://pockets.upperroom.org/write-for-us/annual-fiction-contest/
- Oh, and if you’re a woman (sorry, guys!) don’t forget about the previously mentioned Mslexia competition – you’ve got till September for this one: https://mslexia.co.uk/competition/novel-competition/
There, that should keep you going for a bit! Good luck!